* E-mails, then apology from Port of Tacoma; document request reveals private criticism of Olympia port, Olympian via TJ
* Lacey council stalls on rules for tent city, Olympian
* Camp Quixote to return to familiar territory this month, Olympian
* Complaints persist at Cooper Crest, Olympian
* Port to pay city $70,000 for protection, Olympian
* Old Griswold's Bldg: Structural work planned on burned-out building; future remains hazy for downtown Olympia structure, Olympian
* Bear Stearns Closes in on Deal To Sell Itself to J.P. Morgan, Wall Street Journal
On Friday, Bear sought and received emergency funding backed by the federal government. Both the Fed and J.P Morgan stepped in to keep Bear afloat following a severe cash crunch as investors moved to pull assets from the firm.
In stepping in, the Fed was trying to move aggressively to prevent Bear's crisis from spreading to the broader economy. The lifeline gave Bear access to cash for an initial period of 28 days -- but it was widely believed Bear would be sold within days to stop it from going under.
* Wall Street fears for next Great Depression, Independent/UK
Wall Street is bracing itself for another week of roller-coaster trading after more than $300bn (£150bn) was wiped off the US equity markets on Friday following the emergency funding package put together by the Federal Reserve and JPMorgan Chase to rescue Bear Stearns.
One UK economist warned that the world is now close to a 1930s-like Great Depression, while New York traders said they had never experienced such fear. The Fed's emergency funding procedure was first used in the Depression and has rarely been used since.
* US West Coast Braced For Ban on Salmon Fishing As Stocks Collapse, Independent/UK
* Collapse of Salmon Stocks Endangers Pacific Fishery, NY Times
“This is the largest collapse of salmon stocks in 40 years.”
* Winter Soldier: former soldiers, Marines share their experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan, broadcast live on KAOS, 89.3 FM, kaosradio.org
* President Weakens Espionage Oversight, Boston Globe via TJ
* New analysis finds alarming increase in expected growth of China CO2 emissions, UC Berkeley News via TJ
* It’s the ‘Oh Shit!’ Moment on Iran, Dave Lindorff via TJ
* British Teachers Told to Rewrite History of Iraq War; MoD accused of sending propaganda to schools, The Independent/UK via TJ
* US Public Losing Interest in Iraq As News Coverage Wanes: Report, APF via TJ
* Bush Intervened For Weaker Smog Rule, AP via Common Dreams
* Chinese Forces Say They’ve Secured Tibet’s Capital, NY Times
* Violence in Tibet as Monks Clash With the Police, NY Times
* China clamps down on unrest as riots spread across Tibet; 80 deaths reported in the capital, Lhasa, during major anti-Chinese protests. Buddhist monks take leading role in pro-independence demonstrations, Independent/UK
* Free Tibet Campaign New and Pictures
* China to take Olympic torch to peak of Mt. Everest (in Chinese-occupied Tibetan territory) as an Olympic stunt., video on YouTube by Free Tibet Campaign
* The Gormo-Lhasa Railway Project - one example of how China tries to tighten it's group of Tibet and the Tibetan people, Free Tibet Campaign